Sassi Photography

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My First Budgie!

For Laura...

Ever since I was about five years old, I've wanted a budgie in a cage. I always said when I grow up and have my own home, I'd get one. It's taken me nearly 27 years, but yesterday I bought my first budgie!!

I was so excited. I bought the cage, food and some toys and spent ages setting them all up. I picked a gorgeous baby boy with a blue body, white head and clipped wings. The kids and I talked about names all the way home. Amelia, in particular, was so very excited also.

Now, I don't know all that much about birds. My understanding was that once you clipped their wings, that kind of slowed them down a little. I very carefully took the budgie out of his box. He seemed okay, then pulled himself up, slipped out of my hands, spread his wings and flew away, out the back and two properties down, where he was swooped on by a very large black bird.

I don't know how long I stood there, with my mouth open, in shock. I just remember suddenly feeling like I was coming out of a dream feeling all numb, to find Amelia crying in hysterics beside me.

Luckily the pet shop took partial responsibility and replaced the budgie at cost. So we get a second chance. Another baby boy, blue with yellow head, whom we called JD. THIS time I put him into the cage whilst locked in the bathroom!!

Today I went back and bought him a friend. I wanted a green and yellow, but he was a biter, so I chose one similar to the one that got away. Elliot is his name. (Yep, it's a Scrubs theme.)


We also bought three day-old chicks, who are currently living in a big box in the kitchen. Marty (our dog) killed my last chook and is very remorseful and lonely. These three chicks are now used to us handling them and will hopefully be nicer than the last couple of meanies we had.



Aren't they cute? The black one is so gorgeous. She falls deeply asleep almost the second you pick her up for a cuddle. She's Mia's. The brown is Nick's and the white is Chris'. They are yet unnamed, but I like Lorraine's suggestion of Snap, Crackle & Pop.

Maybe, with Marty's track record, we shouldn't name the chicks after food, though!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Alicia Barry said...

Love the Scrubs theme.

10:59 am, September 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara sorry about the flyaway budgie. i could just see you standing there mouth open as the bird flew away going "Wah" glad they replaced them for you. But must say if you want a bird to really love and to love you get a cockatiel. the kids will really get a kick out of the bird when the bird wants to play with them

9:46 am, September 13, 2007  
Blogger Liz Weber said...

OMG Sara so sorry to hear about your poor first ever budgie :-0

I had to read that section again just to make sure lol.

I agree with Jen - we have a cockatiel and they are just fab. But I do like that cute pic of your budgies. Just love those chickies too - how sweet. You have a regular animal farm happening there right now lol..

I do hope Bailey is still around???

Hope you guys are well and hope to see you sometime this year hey lol.

4:26 pm, September 13, 2007  
Blogger lalaura said...

Sara!! How awesome about the new additions to your bird family! Sorry to hear about the first little guy, and that the two chookies died, too. But congrats on the new budgies and little chickies!

Patrick, Bernhard and I had three similar chickies to yours, one black (mine, which I named Wolfgang Armadeus Mozart), one yellow (Bernhard's, which he named Soprano) and one red (Patrick's which he named Willy Wonka). They were awesome chookies and lived for years. Soprano was the very last one to survive out of all our chooks, she lived about 4 more years after we had to move from our house in Birkdale (Coorparoo wouldn't let us have chooks). We gave her to a family friend who had kids. She went to a good home and already had a great rapport with kids, so they all bonded instantly. Miss my chookies!

Didn't know you guys were such fans of Scrubs. If you're ever in LA, let me know and I'll take you to see it being filmed on our lot!

xxx Laura

7:11 am, September 14, 2007  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Hi Sara :)

How awful for your first budgie - the poor little guy :s

Love the names of your 2 news ones!!! I've just finished watching Season 5 of Scrubs on DVD that my DH bought me - I hardly ever watch it on TV anymore because of the dumb timeslot - GRRRR!

Jasmine

7:55 am, September 15, 2007  
Blogger ScrapManda said...

welcome to the new additions to your household Sara...I love budgies! Although you'll think I'm absolutely terrible but I had a little LOL when I heard about your poor unfortunate #1 budgie!

7:40 pm, September 16, 2007  
Blogger Jessica said...

oh no!!! now sad to loose the first bird!! love the chicks, they are PRICELESS!!

3:45 am, September 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home